Monday, March 2, 2009

40th

Last month I celebrated my 40th birthday with some of my closest friends. The weekend before I spent it with some of my family. Lots of good times, laughs, etc.
Everyone keeps asking if I feel different, how it feels....not any different. I've always been pretty young-at-heart (AKA immature), I run, work out, have plenty of energy, and still enjoy wearing furry clothing and ripped jeans.
Until yesterday.
I must say, it hit me a little hard.
I met David's sister at a bridal boutique to try on wedding dresses. I was on my way to the gym...ponytail, headband, Victoria's Secret Pink sweats on (that I got for my birthday!)
Anyway, I'm loitering around the front waiting for Heather and her mom, sister and Donna when the sales 'girl' comes up to me. She looked to be in her late 20's ...but he face looked a little haggard...so more like late 30's (you'll see why I'm being mean!)
Anyway, she came up to me and said, "Are you meeting your daughter here to try on gowns?"
...........
I'm sure some of you think this is really funny, but I don't.
I can take a lot, it hasn't bothered me at all, til today. I seriously shed a small tear on the way to the gym, where I promptly ran myself into the ground running 6 miles, doing 100's of sit ups, and a heavier than normal arm routine. I'm not even sore today (I bet that chick at the bridal store would be....am I pissed or what!?)
Okay, I'm done ranting, well, almost.
The night before David and I were watching the Sex and the City movie. At the end of it they celebrate Samantha's 50th with a cake at dinner. David silently looks over at me with a smug look on his face. I notice him staring (in his 34 year old way...shit head) and say "whoa, you're thinking "that's the next big birthday, aren't you?"
He laughs and says "Yes!"
Seriously, nothing for him for at least a week. At LEAST!
I'm done now.
I need to drag my old, haggard, bathrobe clad body upstairs to pick out an outfit for Max to wear to school. No, I don't normally baby him that much, but if I want him to match I need to do the legwork!!!!!



4 comments:

The Wilsons said...

First of all, I'm so sad I couldn't make that party. :(

Second of all, tell David to STHU.

Lastly, and I'm sure I won't be the first, or last, to tell you this, but you're GORGEOUS. You're fit, you're beautiful, you're energetic, and have always been someone I've admired in the sense that I feel older than you inside, yet I'm younger. That sales chick was an idiot. That's as bad a faux pas as saying "Aww, when is your baby due?" to an overweight person.

Spindler Clan said...

I totally agree with Debbie!!! You look better than most girls in their 20's!!
BTW...love the group pic of all of us! :)

CREATIVE CLICKS PHOTOGRAPHY said...

i can only wish to look as good as you when i'm 40. i personally think you haven't aged a day since i left, in fact you look hotter and younger than you did at 37. you go girl! age is relative! believe me i would know!

Jessica said...

Oh Amy...can't even believe you are 40!!You look awesome...you always have.

Happy belated birthday!! I look forward to reading your blog. Nice to reconnect.